Tuesday 10 May 2016

Pain free life (well not just yet!!)

Living with the pain of gallstones has been a long slog.  I'm one of them people that don't like to bother the doctors, but being forced to go and see my GP by my mother last May was the best thing I have ever done.  Three years of abdominal pains and leaving it became too much to handle and thanks to my mum pushing, I was found to have a gallstone, just one but it was an inch big!

I got referred quite quickly and once I'd seen my consultant I was told I would have to loose weight to make the surgery safer.  This was the kick I needed to go back to Slimming World.  

I ended up getting admitted to hospital a couple of times over the next few months while I was loosing weight.  The pain is horrendous and I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy (even though I don't have a worst enemy!!)

After the second hospital admission I was given a new consultant as my original one had left, my next clinic appointment was a week after getting admitted.  It was like music to my ears when I walked in.  'Well Melanie, after looking through your file I'm really impressed how much weight you've lost since coming to clinic and I'm going to put you on the list for surgery'. I couldn't contain my excitement and sat there with a huge grin on my face when she was explaining the procedure.  Once my letter came through I only had about a month before I was due surgery.

Yesterday was the day.  Knowing that I don't have to live with the pain from a flair up ever again is the best feeling.  I'm in pain now but I'd rather have this pain than the other pain.  

My eating habits won't change and I will still be food optimising, I do have a size 14 bridesmaid dress to get into by September!!  So my journey to a new me will continue.

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment