Wednesday 27 April 2016

Before.......

From an early age I had struggled with my weight.  I had an amazing childhood, the usual, I spent most of the holidays outside playing but as I got older and would rather sit inside and watch films, the weight piled on.  I wasn't aware of how much weight I had put on until I started secondary school, I was a size 14 at age 11!  The more I felt down about my size the more I comfort ate.  I slipped into a vicious cycle that became my norm. 

As my school years went by, I learnt to put my problem to the back of my mind.  I had my circle of friends and the fact I was overweight never came up.  I was never bullied or teased because of my size and I was accepted for who I was.  I know this isn't the case for many teenagers and children.

It was only when my year 11 prom was approaching that I finally became aware of what I was doing to myself.  I was scared of getting a dress, just like my friends, so I wore a fancy floaty top and black trousers to hide myself.  I was ashamed of myself.  Baggy clothes were to become my choice of clothes for the next few years.

My self-confidence was low and I tried to diet but nothing every came off.  Were now around the time when The Atkins' Diet was popular, my sister bought the book and I thought I'd give it a try. I only read to page 3.  I slipped back into that vicious cycle again.

Years I spent like this and I had a new circle of friends and was working full-time so I never really again about my weight.

Back in 2011 my sister asked me if she could have a word with me.  She's seen an advert for Slimming World and asked if I wanted to go with her and join and we could loose weight together.  I was scared.  Scared of standing on the scales for the 1st time in so many years.  But I went and decided to join, I thought after listening to the new member talk that this might be the help I needed and if I had my sister to do it with, maybe I would be able to succeed. 

I quit before reaching my 2 stone!

Lots of things were happening in my life, my family was moving to another country and I was moving in with another relative.  I took the opportunity to slim on my own.  It worked for while.

I decided going back to Slimming World was my option.  I enjoyed food optimising last time.  So I re-joined.  I managed about 3 months.  What is wrong me I thought!  I wanted to be slim but why do I keep sabotaging myself.

Fast forward to September 2015.  I had just been diagnosed with a gallstone.  This was the 1st time I had any health problems.  It was the wake up call I needed.  My consultant at the hospital advised me that I would need to loose weight before surgery.  So attempt number 3 at Slimming World began. 

This was the focus I needed.  And to add to the extra focus and motivation, one of my lovely friends had asked me to be one of her bridesmaids.

Now, April 2016, I'm 2 stone 8lbs lighter.  The most I have ever lost.  And better still, I'm having my surgery in less than 2 weeks!

I believe that it I need something to focus on to help me succeed.  With one of my focus points gone now I can focus on getting into a smaller bridesmaid dress :-)

M x

November 2004, I was at my biggest here
May 2003, year 11 prom

No comments:

Post a Comment